Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thanksgiving

Now that I´m one-third of the way through writing my exam, I feel it´s time for a break. So what follows is a quick, completely non-exhaustive list of things for which I am thankful (in no particular order).

-family: near, far, old, new
-the chance to talk to a good chunk of dad´s side of the fam this afternoon
-all of the people who have welcomed me into their homes over the last months, despite my broken Spanish (as Doña Santos, my most recent host mom in the campo said, ¨Ahora tienes muchas mamás!¨-- ¨Now you have a lot of moms!¨)
-the other people on the program -- in a way, this is a subpoint to giving thanks for family
-the communities we have lived in and visited, the stories we have heard, the opportunity to learn about the impact that US foreign and economic policy has had in this region that is never covered in the news
-the home-places that are waiting for me when I get back to the States and my community, which I am anxious to re-acclamate to (in particular I´m thinking here Seward/South Minneapolis, HTLC, the U of M and all that these encompass)
-the knowledge that, with courage and practice, I won´t ever fully re-acclamate
-a presidential inauguration that I actually WANT to attend (this is big)
-(because I´m really missing her right now) my bicycle, Maude

Again, far from complete. The idea is simply that I have a whole lot to be thankful for. And, as is usually the case, only one of them is really a ¨thing¨ at all.

No comments: