Thursday, June 3, 2010

Up, up, and away

Slowly but surely, I'm checking off the last handful of 'to-dos' before leaving. This time tomorrow, I will be about to board the plane to Guatemala. This time Saturday -- barring volcanoes, mudslides, or sinkholes -- I will be in Xela, about to set off on four weeks of brain-pulverizing immersion Spanish. I can't wait to be there. I can wait to be not-here, though. I haven't quite figured out the latter part, though. It's not as real as the fact that I'll soon be back in Xela at El Cuartito or La Luna and studying at PLQ.

In truth, I still have quite a bit of packing left to do. I wish I had finished earlier, in order to have a chance to just be in the city. But not getting that in will simply make it more sweet when I come back next year. Stress notwithstanding, this last week has been delightful. If the weather in El Salvador is this nice even 20% of the time, I will be a deliriously happy Minnesotan. (And Salvadorans will wonder exactly what they did to deserve the frigid temperatures. This country and I are definitely a weather mis-match.)

In any case, I am almost off. I should be pretty well connected, though that certainly remains to be seen for sure. Keep me posted on how things are in Minneapolis (or wherever you are reading from). I'll do my best to do the same here.

No comments: