Thursday, August 11, 2011

Think of yourself and say

Think of Others
by Mahmoud Darwish

As you prepare your breakfast – think of others.
Don’t forget to feed the pigeons.
As you conduct your wars – think of others.
Don’t forget those who want peace.
As you pay your water bill – think of others.
Think of those who only have clouds to drink from.
As you go home, your own home – think of others – don’t forget those who live in tents.
As you sleep and count the planets, think of others – there are people who have no place to sleep.
As you liberate yourself with metaphors think of others – those who have lost their right to speak.
And as you think of distant others – think of yourself and say “I wish I were a candle in the darkness.”


This is a busy week, with packing and preparations for moving once again. A week from today I'll hop on a MegaBus with a one-way ticket to Detroit. Lutheran Volunteer Corps orientation is in the Twin Cities this year, so I have an extra week in town, but it'll be pretty full.

I gave a presentation at my mom's church last night, preceded by making up four pounds of beans and almost 40 tortillas. It was stressful in a couple moments (like when my metal comal didn't cook the tortillas evenly and ended up burning several of them). But now this morning I've woken up with a familiar feeling in my fingertips from all the flipping and accidentally touching the griddle and clothes smelling like corn masa. These simple, pleasant sensations, along with the fact that I can justify wearing a sweater on this wonderfully cool August (August!) morning, means that I've been able to find moments of calm in the midst of the whirlwind of moving again.


Mahmoud Darwish's poem is fairly new to me, but it has been a helpful reminder not to let the mundane, daily elements of my life become too routine without acknowledging that there is something extraordinary in them. And that many things that should be a given in a human life are not for many, many people. Sometimes I'm tempted by the sexiness of thinking of myself and wondering how I can be a huge, burning fire - all on my own. But poetry and religious traditions the world over wouldn't have wisdom on the importance of even a single candle against the darkness if there wasn't something to it.

No comments: